Committee of Special Education (CSE)
The Committee of Special Education (CSE) is comprised of a multidisciplinary team that is approved by the Board of Education. The committee is responsible for students who are between the ages of 5 – 21. The responsibilities of the committee are to determine eligibility for special needs services, develop and implement a student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP), and place students in the least restrictive environment that adequately meets their academic needs. If a student is determined eligible for special needs services, a disability classification will be determined at the new referral CSE meeting and the committee will meet at least once a year to review the student’s program and services. Every three years a re-evaluation meeting will take place which will allow the committee to review a student’s academic success and records to determine if the student continues to require special education services.
Multidisciplinary CSE Team:
The multidisciplinary team may consist of the following members:
- District representative
- Parent(s)/Guardians of the student
- General education teacher
- Special education teacher
- An individual who understands and can explain evaluation results and how the results affect instruction
- A parent member who has a child with a disability (not needed for sub-committee meetings)
- School physician (if requested by the parent)
- Other people who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the student, as requested by the parent or the school district (this would include related service providers/therapists that work with the student)
- The student, if appropriate
** A parent/guardian can request that a parent member not be present at the meeting. If you wish to excuse the parent member for your child’s meeting, please contact the CSE office in advance of the meeting at 585-928-2913 and make your request known.
*** As a parent/guardian you may invite other individuals to attend your child’s CSE meeting; however as a courtesy we request that you contact the CSE office prior to the meeting and let us know who you will be bringing to the meeting.
If you would like to make a referral to have your child evaluated for special education eligibility, please contact the CSE office at 585-928-2913 and speak directly with the Director of Special Education, Mrs. Susan Bokman.
“What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.”