Mrs. Andrea McLaughlin
Dear Bolivar Richburg Elementary Community,
I’m so excited that we will soon be welcoming everyone back for the start of the 2020-21 school year! We have been working diligently on a plan for September. Over the last few months, we have worked to study the guidance from our national, state and local officials as well as seeking input from you. This is a complicated issue, but we have done our best to create a plan to educate our young learners while keeping our students and staff as safe as possible. Thank you for your patience. Even if you do not agree with every point in our plan, I hope you will know that we care deeply about our students and that we will continue to work hard to do what is best for them.
The model we have chosen for Bolivar Richburg Elementary is one in which the students will be in school, face to face, five days per week. Parts of the school and the learning environment will be very different, but we are committed to maintaining a positive school culture while implementing the necessary safety procedures. Teachers will use creative measures to incorporate opportunities for movement and will be very diligent in providing frequent mask breaks.
We know how important you are in this process. We are counting on you to help us open safely:
- For those who have committed to picking up and dropping off your children for the entire school year, you can utilize Richardson Avenue for both pick up and drop off.
- Drop off starts no earlier than 7:40 am and pick up is at 2:50 pm.
- Before pulling away, school staff will check students’ temperatures to ensure students are safe to enter the building. If anyone of the children in your household have a temperature over 100 you will need to take everyone home.
- After temperature checks, students will report directly to their classrooms.
- Breakfast should be consumed before arrival to school.
- For parents who chose bussing, students will be screened prior to getting on the bus. In case they are not, they will be screened when they arrive at school.
Note: There will be no changes between parent pick up/drop off and bussing once you have committed for the year.
- Students will be provided a breakfast to be consumed at home for the next morning. Students will eat prior to coming to school.
- Lunch will be served in the classrooms.
- Safety: cloth and disposable masks provided, face shields provided, barriers on desks, desks are social distanced, water fountains are for filling water bottles only, direction arrows and 6ft distancing markers on the floor and hand sanitizing stations
Opening Day Schedule:
September 9, 2020- Grades PreK-2 ONLY
September 10, 2020- Grades 3-5 ONLY
September 11, 2020- Everyone Grades PreK-5
A few helpful hints that you can do with your child to prepare them for coming back to school:
- Have your child wear a face covering at home or in the community to help him or her become comfortable in it. Help them to understand that wearing a mask is mandatory.
- Please stress and practice the importance of proper hand hygiene.
- Social distancing is required. Talk about what six feet apart looks like, especially with our youngest students. Find something that is 6ft in length as a model for them to see.
We are the role models for our children. If we all exhibit a positive attitude and confidence, everyone will feel good about the return to school. We are excited for the start of our school year and are excited to see their smiling faces.
If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.